Terry Layle Goettsch
27 Years Old

April 24, 1980 to September 12, 2007

Terry Layle Goettsch was born on April 24, 1980 in Austin, Texas. He was the son of Anne and Brent Christensen, and Dennis Goettsch. Terry was a big brother to siblings, Gayle, Joseph and Kirsten, a title he held with pride and honor. Terry and his siblings were close. They had mutual respect for one another. Terry was blessed with a large extended family, including five grandparents, numerous uncles, aunts, cousins, a brother-in-law and nephew.

Terry spent most of his life in Austin, Texas, graduating from A.N McCallum High School. He moved back with his parents for a time and went to work for IRG in Mankato, MN. That job provided him with the opportunity to transfer to Gainesville, GA After awhile Terry went to work for Wrigley, Inc. It was at Wrigley that Terry met people whom he cared for greatly.

Terry’s life was about his family and friends. He believed that the greatest gift is when the line between family and friends are blurred. His inner light was seen through his smile and the affection he had for those around him. His outgoing personality drew people near him, making him a light that still shines on his family and friends. He enjoyed music and dancing very much. He could be found often at the best clubs and night spots, and never alone. He treated everyone he knew as if they were his best friend. He was extremely sensitive to the needs of others and would go out of his way to say a kind word, or give a hug to someone who needed it. Three weeks before Terry’s death, Terry was able to come home and celebrate with his siblings, grand-parents, count-less aunts and uncles, cousins and friends. He was able to meet his new nephew. Pictures were taken; good-byes were said not knowing that this would be the last moments we would be together.


On September 12, 2007, Terry Layle Goettsch finished the third shift at Wrigley, Inc in Flowers Branch, GA. He told his co-workers that he was meeting a friend for breakfast. He went to his apartment in Gainesville, GA and was meeting his friend, James Randall Fowler, before going out for breakfast… he was never heard from again. On the evening of September 13, 2007 Gainesville Police were summoned on a reported welfare check. Officers found the door to Terry’s apartment unlocked. As they checked the apartment, officers found Terry lying dead on the floor, the victim of three gunshot wounds. Randall Fowler was lying dead next to Terry. A subsequent investigation revealed that Randall Fowler had been suicidal for several weeks. His roommate became concerned when he did not return home and is the person who called in the welfare check. The investigation revealed that James Randall Fowler shot Terry three times and then turned the gun on himself.

back to 30

Terry Layle Goettsch